Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Without bridges, we would all be be islands. Lauren Zaworski

Hey everyone! My name is Lauren Zaworski and I am 16 years old. I live in Palatine with my parents, Jim and Marie, my two older brothers, Brian and Sean, and my dog, Elvis. I would say that I am a fairly open minded and balanced person. While I love to compete in sports, such as basketball and softball, I also like going to my favorite store Francessca's Collections. My favorite movies of all time would probably be A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, and Becoming Jane. However, when complete marathons of Indiana Jones or Star Wars come on, I declare that I am a fan also.

In order to have an idea of what is really important to me, I would like to tell you a story. Freshman year, during Spring Break, I was able to go on a trip that would end up being a life changing experience. A group of teenagers from my church and I had gone to the Dominican Republic on a serving/mission trip. Our mission was to serve a local church in whatever way we could, whether it be through physical labor or by communicating with the children at a school nearby. By the end of the trip though, we had realized that while serving we had learned a lot more from the people we served. By constantly asking what they could do for us to make us feel more comforable and giving us their necklaces and bracelets when they only had a few to begin with, these people displayed selflessness and humility in order to reach out to people they only knew for a short period of time. Never before had I seen such passion from a collective group to openly love others. Despite the language barriers and thier lack of resources, the members of the Nueva Vida Church found a way to connect with us on a deeper level than anyone thought possible.

These people were true bridge builders. With kindness and understanding they brought two islands or different groups of people together. I don't know if this slogan truely defines me as a person, however, it does remind me of the person I strive to be like.

6 comments:

Mrs. Gerber said...

Lauren,

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've yet to see The Notebook. I meant to, but then I forgot. I will take your post as a reminder. (You can forgive me since I'm a fan of Francessca's, too!)

Kristine Werling said...

Lauren, I think that you are a bridge builder also. I always see you reaching out to others and being kind to everyone. I think that your title describes you very well.

Amber P. said...

First of all i love the Notebook and A Walk to Remember... I own both of those!! I also totally agree with Kristine's comment, and you definitley are a bridge builder. It's also nice to see that you learned so much from your trip, it must've been a really rewarding experience!

corilin said...

lauren: i went to honduras this summer, and i totally experienced the exact same kind of thing. i wear a green bracelet every day that this little girl gave me, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Joe C said...

thats a very good story, very much connects with the phrase. i have to agree with the other people, you are a great bridge builder. You are one of the sweetest, kindest, most friendly people i know. keep it up

Kaitlin Fanning said...

lauren we definitly have the same taste in movies. we should defintly watch a marathon soon. and we finally have a class together!! woot!