Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's Important to Know Who Can Handle the Challenge. Jane Danstrom.

As a sixteen year old girl, the most important things on my mind should be fun, boys, and clothes, but as a result of my lofty aspirations my world is centered around grades, scores, and tuition. I know that many of my classmates consider me crazy insane for being constantly focused on my GPA and class rank, but there is a very good reason for my insanity and it is, like all great psychological disorders, rooted in my childhood.

When I was in sixth grade, I began the great search for colleges, spurred on by my older brother's own hunt. I would sit for hours reading through his copy of The Princeton Review's 361 Best Colleges searching for the place that would be the pinnacle of all my schooling. I examined the reported student GPA average for the schools, as well as their ACT/SAT scores. Unwittingly I forced high standards upon myself which ultimately means that I forced myself to conform to only one thing- being as close to perfection as I can humanly attain and to put it simply being the best.

It's important for me to know who can handle the challenge, because I expect myself to handle the challenge and be the very best at everything I attempt. For me it's just simply not okay to pass on any possible challenge and I am constantly pushing myself to prove to everyone (including myself) that I can handle the challenge. Handling the challenge for me is a way of life, and while some people may think that I overwork myself, or put too much pressure on myself, the reality is that I enjoy the challenge. And every time I overcome, I feel that much better about my ablilities.

12 comments:

Mrs. Gerber said...

Jane,

You have a light, fun writing voice, and the opening of this made me laugh aloud. (We should chat; I have a piece that starts rather similarly!)

Emma H said...

Jane. I am with you on the whole "my world is centered around grades, scores, and tuition." I personally think it's good that you are focused on your GPA and colleges. Though it did surprise me when you said you started looking at colleges in sixth grade! What colleges were you thinking of attending? I also like your writing and the beginning of this post.

Zach Duray said...

That little comment about being as close to perfection as possible, I'd say Wind Symphony is a good accomplishment and close to perfection. Which reminds me, we need to show off our Wind Symphony prowess to Mr. Luloff!

Kristine Werling said...

Jane, I totally know where you're coming from about striving to be perfect and the best. I also have two older sisters that I watched go through the college process and know what you mean about the pressures this puts on oneself.
I also like your intro. :)

corilin said...

Dear Jane Charlotte:

Although I cannot comprehend why you would push yourself to overachieve, i greatly respect your motivation and dedication to your goals. Keep aiming for the stars, kid.

Kristine Werling said...

My sisters are 22 and 20 now, which just saying that sounds so weird, cause that makes it sound like they are so old. But yeah, we're lucky to get along so well, but i assure you it wasn't always like that.

Ricky O. said...

I know you can handle any challenge...after all, you had to sit next to me for an entire quarter in English last year. No but really, I totally know what you're talking about.

Reagan said...

Ha Jane I like how our posts are almost opposites, and I just wanted you to know that I really admire your perseverance! You are going to do great things in your life...and one of those greats things would include us dressing up as wizards again! EXPELLIARMOUS!

Arjun Puranik said...

My brother had that 361 college book too. I have to say it is pretty interesting. By the way, this sort of insanity is the way to go.

Mercedes Herrera said...

Oh Jane I love your high dedication to and grades and colleges and ranks and all cause LORD KNOWS I need to be reminded why I'm in school...you're like my inspiration girl! OH YEA. =)

Kaitlin Fanning said...

you are so determind when it comes to school and im jealous. you are so set on your goals for school and youre achieving them everyday

Donald Magnani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.