Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Taking the Time to Get it Right - Arjun Puranik

"So which slogan should I choose? I chose "Stop at Nothing" but 3 people already chose that. So... uh I think I'll wait till I get a better idea. That European one would be strange but probably creative or something, but..." etc. So I chose "Taking the Time to Get it Right" as the slogan to represent me because that's what I was doing with this assignment (emphasis on Taking the Time). And after thinking about it more than a little bit, I decided that that would be actually be a surprisingly good fit for me. But first the basics:

My name is Arjun (I know you know but it felt introduction-y), and I was born in India on October 26, 1992 (I'm 15). Then I got moved around between the India and the Chicago area and Milwaukee a few times, but I've been in Palatine since second grade so this is where I've spent the majority of my life. I've got a brother about to be a senior at Stanford, after leaving behind a good amount of shadow at Fremd and at my house. Our whole family is very close.

School: hard classes like this, a bunch of work, several activities, Logue news editor, varsity tennis (my favorite thing to do, although my running and other athletic ability is basically 0)

T
he slogan: It's pretty late right now, and I really haven't been doing much outside of school. I like to think this long work time is because I've been taking the time to get it right, but it's probably in combination with procrastination. However, I did spend a while (too much) on this and other work tonight taking the time to get it right (I've used that too much I understand).

On a higher level, in all my pursuits, I can never stop where I am. I always try to improve myself. An obvious way is that I strive to learn things in my classes, and although I want to improve my learning and not my grades, I would be a hypocrite if I said I didn't try hard to get A's. Sometimes, I even find having fun with friends another way to improve myself in the ability to have fun. The slogan seems like basically perfectionism but I don't want to look at it that way, it's not perfect to be a perfectionist.

7 comments:

Jane Danstrom said...

I enjoy the fact that you take the time to get it right. I envy said skillz.

John K said...

Arjun, I must say I’m intimidated by your intelligence. The fact that you often procrastinate surprised me; I don’t know why but I thought you would try to finish your work promptly. Anyway, you seem like a great person and I’m glad I finally have a class with you.

corilin said...

Arjun: i have never met you before, but i have to say i have been afraid of you ever since you set the curve for every one of Graba's tests freshman year.
hi. i'm cori.

Donald Magnani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe C said...

well i have heard about you and your intelligence before arjun, and i must say it is impressive. this essay proves that. its pretty cool that you like to learn and often search that out. most kids our age could not say the same, including myself

Mrs. Gerber said...

Arjun, I'm most impressed that you're always trying to better yourself. That, my friend,is what it's all about. Do you think you'll follow your brother and head to Stanford, or do you want to start a new path?

Arjun Puranik said...

I would be "fine" (more like very happy) with going to Stanford like my brother. However, I'd rather take a new path, not the same predictable one. Unpredictability is good.