Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rethink Amusement

Though this is a school assignment, when asked to describe myself, William Fremd High School would hardly be mentioned. Instead I’d focus on topics that are amusing and important to me, like my family of five. My parents met in high school in a small town in Southeast Missouri, which was where I lived until the 3rd grade when my family, including my younger twin sisters, moved here. Both of my parents work at my dad’s law firm, and though I’d never admit it to them they are two of the funniest people I know. Robyn and Morgan are both thirteen, and could not be more different. Morgan plays soccer and is happy in a t-shirt, while Robyn enjoys cheerleading and shopping. Despite the differences, we’re all really close and do our best to lead lifes in Christ.
Traveling is a big part of my life. I’ve been to fifteen different countries and value every second I’ve spent abroad. I love meeting new people and being surrounded by a new culture! From paragliding over a castle in Germany, to staying in a hut on a mission trip in Ecuador, these experiences have made me the person I am today.
Some random fun facts about me: I believe the Colbert Report is the best show ever created, besides maybe The Office. I read all the books my Grandfather recommends. I order a grande iced skim latte with two sweet n lows at Starbucks. Also I can juggle.
The fact that I would mention my Starbucks order before mentioning school is the reason I chose the slogan: Rethink Amusement. So far my entire high school career, I haven’t placed enough importance on school. Instead of learning stoichiometry, I would be dreaming of traveling. Now that junior year is here, I need to make school a greater priority in my life. Right now, I would not associate school and amusement. I see school as a time in my life that I just need to get through, but why not embrace and appreciate it? This education will create so many opportunities in the future, and I should take full advantage of it. Study. Do my Homework. Learn. The slogan Rethink Amusement is a goal for me this year, to see school in a more positive light and try my hardest during my junior year at Fremd.

11 comments:

Jane Danstrom said...

I think we should rethink amusement and go to homecoming dressed as Harry Potter, thus making a point that the theme should have been Harry Potter.
EXPECTOOOOOOOO PPAAAAATTTRRROONUUUUUMMM!

Amber P. said...

I LOVE THE COLBERT REPORT!!! yeah but i think i'm going to have to Rethink Amusement this year too, because classes are really hard!

Haley said...

I have to agree that the colbert report is an amazing show. I think your idea of "rethinking amusement" is a good one and its a piece of advice most people probably need to hear. myself included.

Ricky O. said...

I love Starbucks! and traveling, too. I think we're all going to have to take school more seriously this year.

Mercedes Herrera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mercedes Herrera said...

Haha...stoichiometry...chemistry...nuff said. You're so lucky you've traveled like EVERYWHERE! I'm so jealous. I've just been to like...one country out of the US...and I agree with you classes are gonna be really difficult but we can do it girlfriend! Haha, but I'm sooo excited, we're gonna have fun this year in addition to our rigorous hard work...haha!

Dan Szmurlo said...

I agree that students should embrace and try to find amusement in school. But, I think people should appreciate the high-school experiance and extra-curricular activities and stuff instead of just grades. I hate when kids or teachers or just soley focused on grades

Dan Szmurlo said...

I agree that students should embrace and try to find amusement in school. But, I think people should appreciate the high-school experiance and extra-curricular activities and stuff instead of just grades. I hate when kids or teachers or just soley focused on grades

Zach Duray said...

I used to be able to juggle a long time ago... Ah chemistry, some of the more interesting experiences of sophomore year. I'm not sure my little "flushed down the toilet" thing was suitable encouragement, but oh well.

Mrs. Gerber said...

Hopefully, you'll find away to keep the amusement and the school, yes? Great fun facts. (I'm a big Office fan, too. I'm sure we'll chat about this on Fridays!) You'll love when we get to our satire unit.

Donald Magnani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.