Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rethink Amusement

Hey, my name is Blaire Lurie. I chose Rethink Amusement because what I usually like to do for fun isn’t always mainstream or the most popular choice. For example, while most people probably went on vacations or went to the pool a lot over the summer, I volunteered at Brookfield Zoo. There’s a program at the zoo called YVC (youth volunteer corps), for which I had to submit an essay and recommendations to be accepted into the program. This was my second summer in YVC and basically what I would do there was to talk to guests and answer questions about the animals and the zoo. There wasn’t any animal contact or stuff like that, but that’s ok because I don’t plan on going into that field of work. I’m more interested in art and design. Even though it was a huge commitment, about 130 hours over the course of the summer, I am so glad I did it. I met so many amazing people and had so much fun.
If that doesn’t make me sound very different from the rest of the class, there are a lot of other things that will probably set me apart. My family has never been really close. I’m not saying we don’t get along and things, it’s just were not super close-knit. I have an older brother who’s leaving for college at Northwestern this fall, and a younger sister who’s about to start 5th grade. I am also not religious, atheist to be exact. While some people look down upon that, I truly thing no one should ever be judged because of their beliefs, no matter what they be. My friends are a huge part of my life. I pride myself more on how close I am to my friends than how many I have. Sure, it’s nice to have a lot of acquaintances, but if you don’t really get past the all too polite conversations with someone, you never get to know them.
Some of the other things I do are Varsity Vikettes, if you don’t know what that is it’s the flag team, I co-lead a 4th grade girl scout troop, and I’m in NHS. I also really love music. Mainly rock and alternative. I cannot stand rap or country music! Oh yeah, and I’m a vegetarian. So maybe all of that made you rethink amusement, if not, it’s good to know that someone else shares the same intrests as me.

5 comments:

amandak. said...

whoa, volunteering at a zoo sounds awesome... Oh my god, you rock. atheists unite! haha. we are a TON alike.

corilin said...

that is so cool that you worked at the zoo, and i am half a vegetarian: i don't eat red mammals. because i lack the will to give up turkey :]

Yena Hong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yena Hong said...

its really impressive that you did a volunteer work over the summer!

Mrs. Gerber said...

Very interesting and impressive "resume" of sorts, Blaire. It's nice to learn more about you, and now I'm anxious to hear more about your job --and your family life -- as we write throughout the year.