Wednesday, August 20, 2008

No Matter How Closely You Look You Simply Won't See What We See

I remembered seeing the sign as we drove in and it read: Elkhart, Wisconsin Population 1,019. And after a weekend away with the family, I watched it fade away into the high corn and low clouds, and I started to think about all the fun times we had, had that weekend until my sister shifted and her foot touched me. This made me recoil in disgust and reminded me of my fear of feet. Also, it brought to mind the fact that my two older sisters, Donna and Karen, and I were now cramped in the back of a small car for the next couple of hours. To occupy myself, I looked through my camera at all the pictures from the weekend. The first one was of me and my sisters on a pontoon boat ready to jump into the cold lake, as we are all lovers of the outdoors. But then, I thought back about how we stopped by at a local park just a day earlier and ended up getting chased by swarms of disgusting, biting, bloodsucking (as reminded by my dad), deer flies. I remember how we ran for about half a mile to escape these horrible things, and I was reminded how much I hate bugs. Also, I was very glad that I was in shape from playing softball and volleyball so that by the time I was safe in the car I was only sort of feeling light headed. As I looked back at the camera I saw a picture of my sister with her finger creatively placed in front of a distant street light so it looked like she was ET with the light glowing at the end of her finger. My sisters and I love to joke around and we all get along really well with our sarcastic sense of humors. The next picture was an old one of me and my friends at a bonfire. My friends mean a lot to me and I love to just hang out with them, I know I can always count on them for a good laugh. About the next 20 pictures on my camera were from the Cubs game I went to on my 17th birthday, because of course I am a Cubs fan. Also, I love to play and just be a part of sports. As I clicked the next button on my camera an old picture came up from my sister, Donna’s, graduation. This picture made me think about what school is to me, and right away I didn’t want to think about school any longer than to complain about it, but I do work really hard in my classes, and truthfully I’m a perfectionist. The last picture was one that I’ve never seen before and it’s one of me looking highly unattractive and asleep on the hotel bed. I thought to myself how nice it would be if there were a sign that read: Backseat of the car, Population Kristine. But then, I look over at Donna and Karen who have already started to laugh and I can’t help but join in.

6 comments:

corilin said...

I love America's Best Dance Crew! I haven't watched the season finale yet though.

Dani O. said...

I like how your memories drove this blog so we can see in detail what defines you. I can totally see you guys messing around like that with all three amazing Werling smiles!

Jane Danstrom said...

How old are your sisters? I am very jealous of your close relationship with them. I only have two brothers, so relating to them is kind of like relating pineapples and eskimos.

I'm the pineapple.

corilin said...

I.LOVED.FANNY PAK.

Lauren Z said...

Wubee- You are amazing! This story was so creatively written and sincere. Two qualities I truly admire about you. I am so happy to have you in a class with me this year, not counting gym. The only problem is that now I have to be forced to look at your goofy smile and squint. haah I am just joking, I love those things about you.

Mrs. Gerber said...

Fear of feet?! I do believe we'll need to hear more about that. Judging by your post, I have a feeling you're going to love writing shareable drafts in here, Kristine. I look forward to reading them.