Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Don't Wait to Be Noticed

Hello, everyone. My name's Ricky and I'm sixteen. I picked the slogan "Don't Wait to be Noticed" because though I may not dess in insanely stlyed clothes, talk obnoxiously loud, or strive to get every last individual's attention, ever since I've been at Fremd, I've realized that life CAN sometimes just be a competition.

Ever since I was little, I had gone to small schools. For elementary school, I went to St. Theresa, and I also spent my freshman year of high school at Saint Viator. Now I realize that at these schools, because they were so small, every student was able to succeed at what they were good at. The really intelligent students all got attention because there were only a few of them. The really athletic students all got attention because there were also only a few of them. Ultimately, it made life boring because there was no need to grow. The entire year I spent at Viator, I knew I wanted to transfer to Fremd. Even when people asked me why though, I couldn't give an explanation because I didn't know myself.

Then, I went to Fremd. It seemed like people competed with everything here. There was no point in just getting good grades or just doing well in sports because there were dozens of other kids doing just as well me. So I started to change my perspective on life. Although I still knew that keeping my grades up and developing my talents were important, I began to realize that what I was able to give back was more important. Getting the highest GPA in the grade wasn't a main priority anymore. I decided that I'd rather try to make a difference in other people's lives and develop myself through them also, rather than just sit in the corner and study all the answers for tests.

So now, I really like traveling and seeing how other people live. I like seeing if being exposed to different places changes the way I think. That's why I love ethnic food. All in all, I like trying new things because I realized that living your life like everyone else doesn't really get you noticed at all, especially in a positive way.

7 comments:

Mrs. Gerber said...

Neat philosophy, Ricky. Where have you traveled?

Jane Danstrom said...

You definitely didn't wait to get noticed in our english class last year. I remember the first day of school you were talking about something and I thought,"Who is that boy? I must befriend him quickly he seems like the coolest guy in here."

I guess its not hard to be though when the other boys in our english class acted like two year olds.

Haley said...

It's good that you've learned to be motivated not by the prospect of being better than others but for a genuine desire for self-improvement.

John K said...

Your dedication to be the best that you can be and make a difference in others’ lives is admirable. I’m glad you decided to attend Fremd after Freshman year.

Donald Magnani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amandak. said...

hey, i totally agree, people try to make life a competition way to often, i can't stand that. why can't we just dress however and say whatever we want?? I feel the same way with giving up on trying to have the highest GPA and stuff too. Way to explore your interests.

Kaitlin Fanning said...

ricky im glad you transferred to Fremd last year. This slogan defiitly suits you. You're never afraid to say whats on your mind