Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Stop at Nothing

Hey, I'm Dani OBrill. I'm sixteen and have a small family. I am an only child so its just me and my parents in the house. I am involved in a ton of stuff which takes up a huge chunk of my social time, but thankfully some of my friends are also in those clubs with me. I'm in SOS, the Bridge Youth council, NHS, Student council and also play soccer. My family is fairly religious but I hadn't found a church I liked until the beginning of sophmore year and now I'm very involved in it. I work at Legoland in the streets of Woodfield though I'm not sure how long I'll be able to continue there while trying to balance a job with school and the other activities I'm in.
I'm a pretty hard working student, but I get frustrated really fast when lessons don't come to me easily. Because of the only child thing, my parents have a lot of expectations that I need to live up to and now those expectations are just second nature to me. I do want to get the A, but I'm not one of those people who freak out because I didn't get the grade I wanted on one test because I know there will be more opportunities for improvement and I just need to study that much harder next time(the end of the quarter is a different story though). English is one of my worst subjects, but I hope to improve my writing by the end of the year since there are more essay questions on tests as we progress to higher level classes.
I haven't a clue as to what college I want to go to and I dont know what field of careers I'm interested in by any means. This always worries me during ACT times because most teachers and administrators make it seem like we should have it all figured out by now, which I definitely do not.
I would say that this slogan fits me because though I come to mainly challenges and may not do as well in all of them as I had wished, I have so much on my plate that I don't have the time to cry about it. I have to pick myself back up again and move past it without missing a beat. I experienced this freshman year before we had even started school by not making the volleyball team. That was the first time I had faced that blunt of a rejection, and it sent me flying backward. I had no confidence in myself going into freshman year but thankfully with the help of some good friends getting me into clubs that I liked and the knowledge that I still had soccer and basketball to lean back, I got back on the speed track I was used to being on. The mentality I had coming into high school was that nothing could stop me, but when I realized that wasn't true, that nothing in life was unstoppable, my mentality completely changed which is why this slogan fits me so well. Stop at nothing.

9 comments:

Mrs. Gerber said...

Wow, Dani. I'm so impressed that you took a trying experience and turned it into a character builder. I remember facing my first "big rejection" my senior year of high school, and it took some time to get over it. Glad you have such helpful friends.

Emma H said...

First of all, you are working at legoland. Which is pretty much the best thing I've heard in my life! It actually does sound like it would be interesting. What do you do? Have you had any funny times at that job?
I also liked how you took your experience with volleyball and pushed yourself past that and got involved with other things. That's awesome.

Zach Duray said...

My mentality coming into High School was more along the lines of, "eh, it's just another stage in education, not really anythng too important". I never took the time to anticipate the challenges when I started High School. Way to have nothing in your way!

Speaking of legoland, Do you know Liz Domin or Scott Jackson? they were telling me how they worked there and that it was a blast.

Kristine Werling said...

Like the other people said Legoland is awesome! I'm going to have to come visit you sometime. Also, I really liked how changing your perspective about certain things helps you get through them. I admire you for that.

Dani O. said...

I do know scott and liz. Scott works with me, but liz is up in entertainment so I dont get to see her that much, but I do know her from student council!

Amber P. said...

Again, sweet that you work at Legoland!! I loved your blog, and i can't believe your not good at English because i really liked your blog and i think your writing is really good! I've had similar rejection experiences like you did, and i admire how you got back up and would stop at nothing, i want to try to do something like that. (sorry this is such a long comment!) Lastly, i really like how you flipped the words around at the end.

Kaitlin Fanning said...

hey joe! so yea i definitly didn't know you were in ping pong club. thats very cool, and it's also cool you work at tre amici.... do you get like free pizza whenever you want then?

Kaitlin Fanning said...

i know im like the 68478693476 person to comment on legoland but.....

LEGOLAND!!!!! that's so cool! my good friend matt k works there and he says its a blast.

Lauren Z said...

You are so strong and seem to really be content with yourself which is a rarity to come by in high school. Way to go!