Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Stop At Nothing- Joe Calhoun

Hello new classmates. My name is Joe, I am 16, and I am not sure what to say in this blog. I guess I will just start with the basics.
I have a decent size family. I live with my parents, Jim and Marian, and my twin sister, Molly. I have two brothers in school, Danny, who attends the University of Iowa, and Jimmy, who is at graduate school at Marquette University. I am involved with track and ping-pong club. I do the hurdle events in track. Used to hate those hurdles, but I am starting to enjoy them now. Also, this year,  I will be president of ping-pong club. That doesn't mean I am very good at ping-pong though, I was just appointed president. Also I might get involved in the business club.
Also, I have two jobs at the moment. I work the counter at a local pizza place called Tre Amici pizza, and I also teach sports to children at the YMCA. If your ever around those two places, look for me. I really enjoy music. I am listening to it right now actually. My favorite artists would have to be Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews Band, and Dispatch.
One of the main reasons I am in AP Language and Composition is because it looks good on college resumes. I will be honest, I am not overly excited by this class, but I am hoping it will be better then planned. (Sorry Mrs. Gerber.)
Now, about the slogan, I bet I can find a better one for myself, but I didn't see one in class, and this one is just fine. The reason I picked this one is because, when I get determined to accomplish something or very passionate about something, I usually finish the job quickly and skillfully. For instance, I started getting very excited about track midway through the season last year. I worked hard in practice, taking advice from all the coaches and applying it. By the end of the year, I had lowered my personal bests by almost two seconds, which is a considerable margin.
That is Joe Calhoun in a nutshell. Have a good day. I'll see you all tomorrow 

10 comments:

Mrs. Gerber said...

So I guess the big question is, "Will this job of yours be able to hook a class up with some pizza?!"

Ricky O. said...

I did not know you were the president of ping-pong club. That's sweet!

Yena Hong said...

i think it's very cool that you listen to your coach and use his advice to get better

Donald Magnani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amandak. said...

Dang, hurdles are insane how do you do that? ping-pong is pretty sweet though.I admire your determination in track too. see ya.

amandak. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arjun Puranik said...

I agree that ping-pong (table tennis) is awesome. One of my friends does hurdles too, and he showed me how its done. Its hard; good job on that.

Lauren Z said...

First of all, thank goodness you wrote the first blog because otherwise I bet we all would have had no idea where to start. I admire your dedication to both of your activities. It seems your honesty and leadership always shine through whatever task you start.

Kaitlin Fanning said...

hey joe! so yea i definitly didn't know you were in ping pong club. thats very cool, and it's also cool you work at tre amici.... do you get like free pizza whenever you want then?

Donna said...

after reading this its nice to know we have a lot in common! love ping pong, three of the same favorite bands, especially dave and dispatch, and of course that whole twin thing too.