Friday, August 22, 2008

Life is short. Stay awake for it. - Ye-Na Hong

Hi, my name is Yena and I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I was born in Seoul, South Korea and lived there until I moved to St. Louis, Missouri, where my brother attended Washington University in St. Louis. In my brother's senior year, I moved to Shanghai and lived there for a year. Now I'm here in Illinois, where my brother works as a consultant. Out of the three cities I've lived in, I would choose Shanghai as my favorite. Although I was there for only a year, I had a great time. Not only was I able to learn a little bit of Chinese, but I also got to live in a great cosmopolitan city. I made several close friends whom I spent a lot of time with exploring the city and making memories. I was sad to leave Shanghai after living there for a year; however, I'm trying to focus on the last two years of high school to prepare for the future.
As I went through the list of slogans to pick, this phrase caught my attention the most: Life is short. Stay awake for it.

Looking back on the seventeen years of my life, I feel like I've wasted too much time not doing anything productive. It wasn't until recently that my thoughts have changed. I feel like I should live life to the fullest -- or at least try to -- and this slogan fit perfectly with my new take on life. Life is too short to be wasted and if we use time wisely, I think we can get a lot out of it. There are so many things available in us here -- why not make the best of it?

During my freshmen and sophomore years, I never had to try out for a sport team at school -- the schools were small enough so that I could automatically be on the team without having to try out. But here at Fremd, it seems that making it on to a team is much more competitive. I was nervous and unprepared because I was a transfer student and didn't even know the try out date until the last minute. However, I was able to make the JV Golf team and gained a little confidence on the way. I think the more we achieve, the more we develop a sense of ourselves, and so I figure I should put in a little more effort in life.

9 comments:

Zach Duray said...

I was the same way. My Freshman and Sophomore years only had the occasional band rehersal. Now, I've got way too much stuff going for me. What is life if we don't live it out to the fullest?

Haley said...

I think its very cool how even as a new student, you wanted to get involved right away. There are so many students who aren't involved in anything and are missing out on so much our school, and life has to offer. It's hard being new to a school, esspecially as a transfer and its great that you reallt were able to just jump into it.

Ashvin said...

Hey Yena, I think that slogan fits you perfectly. I also must admire your determination in that you were able to get involved within the short period of time you had to get in the golf team. And congrats in that accomplishment. I also understand how hard it is to come to a new school. I've had the same experience in elementary school. I felt lonely and didn't know anybody, but once I got into some clubs, that's when I started to make some friends, some very close ones I still know till this day. So just letting you know that you are a very determined person, that' s very cool.

amandak. said...

I think it's important to do as much as you can too, but sometimes it's not so easy to live your life to the fullest. a lot of times i spent too much time depending on other people to make me happy. I think it's cool that you've lived in many different places.

Joe C said...

that is a nice slogan, it does fit pretty well. Thats pretty interesting that you have lived in more places then i have visited. Are you planning on going back to shanghai any time soon?

Blaire L said...

Thats cool how you were born in a different country. I've only been out of the country once; I went to Canada for a day, not very exciting. I hope you like it here at Fremd!

Mrs. Gerber said...

Welcome to Fremd, Ye-Na! A couple of questions: How long did you live in Seoul? Do you think you'll go back to Shanghai after you finish high school? Thanks for sharing with us.

Yena Hong said...

Mrs. Gerber,
I lived in Seoul until the end of 7th grade and moved to St. Louis in
the beginning of 8th grade.
I'm planning to go to college in the states after I finish high school but it would be great if I can get a job in Shanghai after graduating college. :)

JenniferLee said...

I know what you mean, and I think
that your slogan is really good. I'm sure everyone knows this feeling and that everyone's heard this kind of advice before because a lot of people take a super long time to actually apply it to their lives (like me).

Welcome to Fremd! I'm sure we'll have lots of fun this year together!!!