Saturday, September 13, 2008

Strange Encounters

I stumbled across an odd species of students at Fremd High School this week. It was Thursday, and it had been just like every other day. I went to my six classes I had prior to lunch, and then made my way towards the cafeteria.I strolled into the cafeteria, and tried to find my friends at a lunch table. It was my first time eating in the cafeteria all year because I go off campus everyday. However, when I was scanning the crowd for some of my friends' familiar faces, I was confronted with many strange faces, who did even stranger actions. From further research on these bizarre species, I have learned that their name is "freshmen."

These freshman were strangely interesting to observe; I couldn't stop staring at them. I mean, these freshman would do the most bizarre things (note: I have recently confirmed that these bizarre actions are cries for attention and "attempts" to look cool). One freshman who I was particularly drawn to would break out into loud bursts of laughter after a joke when he realized everyone else was laughing. Another freshman boy tried to act cool and mature, and when he walked from the lunch line, he attempted to walk with a certain swagger, but it just came out awkward. At the lunch table next to mine, there was a strange blond freshman. She was a particularly short skirt and an especially low shirt. When she looked around the lunch room, she would try to mimic what she thought the other kids were doing (flipping her hair, crossing her legs, observing her nails, flirting with boys). Only when she tried to mimic other students' actions, they would come out different and totally wrong. When I looked around the lunch room again, I realized that most freshman were very similar to the three freshman I had previously observed and took note of, and more over, they were all trying to fit in and look "cool."

After I walked out of the cafeteria, I would always stumble across more freshman. They were everywhere! The halls, the media center, even the football games! These freshmen were just so easy to find. Freshman naturally stand out in a crowd of upperclassmen. So, next time you're in a crowd at school, look around, I'm sure you'll find some freshman dying to fit in.

2 comments:

amandak. said...

haha! this is hilarious. you have really good observations too, and all freshmen are pretty much alike because i see them act the same way.

Dan Szmurlo said...

Now I'm glad I don't spend a lot of time in the cafeteria. Well then again, I do like calling them out and embarressing them with my friends.
Anyways, has anyone noticied that the freshman keep getting shorter and shorter each year? It's so weird.