Saturday, September 13, 2008

Breaking New Observations!

For one week, I have taken time to observe and study the local 9th graders at William Fremd High School. More specifically, the freshmen on the mens cross country team. My observations are completely different than the ones of my colleagues also studying the freshman class. The members of the freshman class have been characterized by loud, immature, annoying, and obnoxious by my colleagues. Over the past week I have seen none of that. I would characterize the freshmen I studied as quiet and cautious, yet not afraid to make attempts at conforming with members of the other three classes. Most of the freshmen I have studied are hard-working, noble, and independent. If one would judge members of the freshmen class on not their small stature, high-pitched voice, or slightly immature conversations, but on their character, personality, and work-ethic, one would find little differences between the freshman and oneself.

As I said before, these observations were of the freshman members of the mens cross country team, and only the mens cross country team. I made no observations or studies outside of the team. But, I have witnessed freshman behavior (outside of the team), and I would characterize it as my colleagues did. It was considerably different than what I observed in the team. My hypotheses is that the freshmen in the cross country team behave different than the freshman outside of the team because of a different social structure.

The cross country society is based on talent and training, not on grade. Members are seperated by training level, speed, and endurance, not by age. I believe that the freshmen not involved in cross country don't "know their place" in the society. Since they are seperated from all other grades most periods of the day, they don't grasp an understanding of how the other grades live and act. Since all grades on the cross country team run together , freshmen are able to be with members of their same training group, not grade. Because of this, the freshmen have more contact with members of the other grades, and are able to mature and learn their place in the society.

4 comments:

Mrs. Gerber said...

Ah, description aNd analysis. Glad to finally see a positive depiction of the freshmen!

amandak. said...

I love how professional it sounds, (nice persona) and of course not all freshmen are annoying, so i'm happy that you show us this in your piece. Your last paragraph is very well-written and inspiring.

Kaitlin Fanning said...

I really like how you don't dislike the freshman. You really looked at the freshman in a differnt way than everyone else. Way to go!

Reagan said...

I wouldn't argue with you! Your persona was very professional and effective. Interesting observation also, I never thought of the freshmen acting the way they are almost expected to act. Nice of you to see them in a more positive way!