Thursday, March 19, 2009

Salvation

Ghosts behind you and in front of you and inside you (205)
No safe ground: enemies everywhere (63)
There was no sound at all- none that I could remember (132)
None of it ever seemed real (54)
Honest to God, I sometimes can’t remember what real is (204)
There was again that sense of recognition (186)
Everywhere, it seemed … a great worldwide sadness came pressing down on me (57)
A crushing sorrow, sorrow like I had never felt it before (57)
The result was a kind of numbness (203)

[I] … imagined the feel of [my] tongue against the truth (142)
I won’t say it but I’ll think it (84)
You can’t extract the meaning without unraveling the deeper meaning (77)
Beyond the sun and through the vast, silent vacuum where there were no burdens (23)
Where everything weighed exactly nothing (23)
The weights fell off; there was nothing to bear (22)
Just go wherever the spirit takes you (126)
The magic doesn’t go away (118)

Absolute silence, then the wind, then sunlight, then voices (19)
It was the burden of being alive (19)
Which was dangerous but which helped ease the strain (15)

1 comment:

Zach Duray said...

The central idea of my poem is to stay optimistic. I start out with the hardships one would endure, to thinking of better situations. The poem ends in the world coming back to reality from the imagination of no burdens. Optimism happens in the mindset, and can always exist no matter the situation.