Saturday, March 21, 2009

Guilt

“The man I killed” (128)
“‘No choice, Tim. What else could you do?’” (37)
“His one eye was shut and the other was a star-shaped hole” (126)
“A slim, dead dainty young man of about twenty” (37)
“He would place the blame where it belonged…My own fault he would say” (169)

“Kept hitting him on the nose…used it to break his own nose (62-63)
“[A] pact…stump…‘Don’t kill me’…Strunk died…relieve Dave Jensen” (65-66)

“When a man died, there had to be blame” (177)
“Lavender was dead. You couldn’t burn the blame” (23)
“First Lieutenant Jimmy cross crouched at the bottom of the foxhole and burned…” (23)

“I feel guilty sometimes…still writing war stories” (34)
“All I could do was cry” (51)
“The embarrassment must’ve turned a screw in his head…pain…all smiles” (88)
“I couldn’t risk the embarrassment” (59)

“‘The truth…is I let the guy go’” (153)
“Like murder, the boy thought. The flashlight…as a result his friend…was dead” (170)
“That part of the story is my own” (161)
“He would place the blame where it belonged…My own fault he would say” (169)
“‘The truth…is I let the guy go’” (153)
“‘I felt sort of guilty almost, like if I’d kept my mouth shut none of it would’ve ever happened. Like it was my fault’” (175-176)

1 comment:

Arjun Puranik said...

In this poem, I try to include a bunch of examples of the psychological shame, embarrassment, and especially guilt the soldiers experience in Vietnam. The clearest example for O'Brien was the story of how he killed the young man. I also thought Dave Jensen's relationship with Lee Strunk, both as "Enemies" and "Friends" displayed the idea of guilt as well. Jimmy Cross blames himself for Ted Lavender's death; O'Brien feels shame with the "On the Rainy River" episode; and everyone blames themselves for Kiowa's death. I thought the idea of guilt/shame/embarrassment due to war was a key concept the book traces.