Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In general, I liked Into The Wild. I, like so many others, find Chris's story to be a fascinating one. I enjoyed attempting to discover the depths of his person while trying to make sense of it all. I like the organization Krakauer chose, and I'm glad he took the time to consider the most effective, entertaining way to present McCandless's journey to the reader. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the whole "lets include a multiple-chapter long tangent about myself" thing. I understand and can appreciate Krakauer's purpose and intent in including the information about himself, but I didn't like it. I know Krakauer made it apparent in the introduction that he was not a biased source, and wasn't going to pretend to be one; but to me, those chapters were just an excuse to be cathartic and for Krakauer to have some self-validation time. Frankly, I felt those chapters belong in his journal, not in this book. The same goes with "The Last American Man", if that is the correct title. The section about herself pretending to be a cowgirl was completely unnecessary.

No comments: