Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I really enjoyed Into the Wild because the whole story was something new to me. I had never heard of this before and I never saw the movie so reading this book was the first time I had ever experience the journey of Chris McCandless. I felt the book itself was very well written and kept my attention the whole time, which is pretty impressive for a school assigned book. I really liked how Krakauer presented the book. Even though it jumped around a bit, I felt the parts added by Krakauer about other people who have set off into the wilderness or him sharing his own personal story were just like tangents that helped further prove his points about McCandless. I thought he did get his point across really well, because when I started reading this book I was thinking that Chris was just some nature freak that wanted to go off on his own. Through this book McCandless showed that Chris had his purpose to make something out of himself and to test his limits. Krakauer developed Chris as a character so thoroughly that when he reached his goal, you were ecstatic with him and when he died, you were at peace with his death; you experienced the same feelings as Chris. Krakauer's close attention to detail and a thorough investigation of Chris's life was complete, well-organized, and kept the reader’s attention. I also felt happy that I read this book when it was over because Chris wanted to share his journey with others and this book helped him accomplish that goal.

No comments: