Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tom Edison's Shaggy Dog.

I liked "Tom Edison's Shaggy Dog," but I read this story directly after "Harrison Bergeron." The latter had a strong message. I easily grasped this message, which simply warned against granting the government too much power. I did not have as easy of a time understanding "Tom Edison's Shaggy Dog."

I like the way by which Vonnegut introduces one plot, the one involving the two men talking on a park bench, but then commences a second series of invents, involving Edison's dog, within the first plot. In the end, I found the story rather amusing and liked the way "the stranger" created a type of diversion to get away from Bullard. Even so, I am having a more difficult time connecting the story to a more profound theme; perhaps one does not exist. In addition, the most intriguing events all occured on the last page, whereas the first of the story, at least, passed by slowly.