Sunday, May 10, 2009

Harrison Bergeron

"Harrison Bergeron" one of, if not, my favorite story in the collection. The whole premise seemed to be anti-Communist to me, though Vonnegut, like most writers, never admits this outright. I found interesting the idea of everyone being equal in the future, not just in the eyes of the law but in every aspect known to man. Some of the images, like the idea of "handicapping" the gifted, were especially haunting.

In the end though, I couldn't help but wonder why Vonnegut wrote a story so anti-communist when many of his works protest war. I noticed that the story was first written/pulished in 1961, when anti-Vietnam sentiment was not that strong yet. Perhaps Vonnegut was more caught up in the Cold War at the time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Check out the article posted online which suggests this is a deep satire and Vonnegut's hero is Glampers. Seems to make more sense...