Sunday, May 10, 2009

Long Walk to Forever

I didn't plan on reading this story, but I was too curious to see the less satirical and more sweet side of Vonnegut, so I couldn't resist. My overall reaction was that it was an okay story. What immediately caught my attention was that the guy's name was Newt. This is the name of one of the characters from Cat's Crave. Therefore, as I was reading I couldn't help but make comparisons of the two characters in my mind. First of all, the Newt in Cat's Cradle falls in love as well, but in Long Walk to Forever the love was different because Catherine loves him for him and what sacrifices he made fore her. Rather, in Cat's Cradle, Newt's lover doesn't actually love him and deserts him. I found myself happy that things worked out for Newt this time, even though the other one is still sad and lonely stuck in the pages of Cat's Cradle. Also, I thought it was interesting how both Newts were very pure characters who were simply looking for love. They stood out, because they lived life and tried to make the best out of their time on the planet. The Newt from this story even broke the rules of the Military to pursue love, this sends a message to the reader that sometimes you have to break away from the guidelines of society to find purpose in life and simply love.

No comments: